Friday, July 15, 2011

Greater Works Than These

(preached May 22, 2011)
Acts 7:55-60
John 14:1-14

Grace and Peace to you this morning.  Grace and peace.

I thought about not preparing a sermon for today.  After all, wasn’t
the world going to end in the rapture last night at six PM.  It would
be the ultimate, “My dog ate my homework!” excuse for ministers.
There is something tempting about end-of-the-world prophecies.  It is
a great escapist idea.  (Did we not check the clock a few extra times
around six o’clock last night?  I admit, I did.)

This world is tough.  Economics are a mess, politics are a mess,
science and religion keep picking fights with each other, our families
are overwhelmed, our institutions are losing credibility.  Wouldn’t it
be nice if God just came in with that heavenly helicopter and lifted
us out of all this?

This latest end-of-the-world hysteria (and it is the latest, as this
gentleman had predicted that 1994 was going to be the time.  Two or
three more of these and people might stop listening to him…) seems to
focus on all the difficulties of the world, and on a few carefully
selected passages of scripture, interpreted with some fascinating
mental gymnastics.  It completely forgoes the Gospel admonition that
no one knows the hour or the day, but we are to be ready at all times
to meet Jesus and to account for our faith.

I am reminded of another gentleman whose small church put Islam on
trial, found it guilty, and burned the Koran.  Everyone from people of
other churches to the upper leadership of the Pentagon explained that
this was a Bad Idea.  This little church put a video of all this up on
YouTube, and it caused riots, as most people expected it would.

Legally, he and his church have the right to do this.  I am not
talking about legal rights.  I am talking about, Christian to
Christian, why did he use the difficulties of our times to abridge the
Gospel?  It is popular to strike back at those who strike at us.  It
feels good to get revenge, to do unto others as you feel justified to
do based on what they have done unto you.  I have had people ask me,
“well isn’t it about time we Christians started to fight back?!?”

"But I say to you that hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who
hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you.
To him who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also; and from
him who takes away your coat do not withhold even your shirt.
Give to every one who begs from you; and of him who takes away your
goods do not ask them again.
And as you wish that men would do to you, do so to them.
"If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even
sinners love those who love them.
And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to
you? For even sinners do the same.
And if you lend to those from whom you hope to receive, what credit is
that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to receive as much again.
But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in
return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the
Most High; for he is kind to the ungrateful and the selfish.
Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful.
(Luke 6:27-36)

Suspending the Gospel when times are tough is not faith.  It is, in
fact, the opposite of faith.  Being of the world, but praying not to
be in it, is not what Jesus told us to do.

Did Jesus have some escapist thoughts?  Sure.  In the garden, before
his arrest: “Father, if thou art willing, remove this cup from me;
nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.”  Having the escapist
thought is not sin.  It is what we do with it that matters.

Which brings us to this morning’s reading from John.  In talking with
some of you, you share my hesitancy at this passage:

Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in me will also do the
works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I go
to the Father.

Greater works than Jesus?  I’m not sure my mind can handle that thought.

But then we read of Stephen, in the book of Acts.  Not one of the
original Apostles, Stephen was chosen to help distribute bread to the
widows.  But even the soup kitchen attendant was filled with the Holy
Spirit and preached and prophesied.  And it got him into trouble.  And
when they came to shut him up, he did not strike back, but held to his
faith.  And when they came to kill him, his words sound familiar.

“Lord Jesus, receive my spirit….Lord, do not hold this sin against
them.”  They sound like another who was sent to his death, praying
even for those who killed him.

I don’t know that I am ready to contemplate raising Lazarus.  I don’t
know that I am ready to contemplate doing the works of Jesus, much
less greater works.  But I can contemplate praying for the faith and
the faithfulness to meet the difficulties of our days faithfully.  I
can pray for those who persecute me, and ask God to help me love those
who hate me.

And I can prayer that we would be faithful.  Especially in difficult
times.  Because that is when it matters the most.  That is when it
makes the biggest difference.  That is when it does the most good.

Thanks be to God.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment